The Hotel Scala has its origins in the ancient coach station/inn Gasthof “an der Stiegen” or “an der Hilben” the name mentioning the pond that was located in front of the Hotel a century ago.
The Hotel was transformed dramatically in 1898 when the “Jugendstil” facade was build and the whole complex enlarged in order to accommodate the ever more growing stream of German tourists flocking to Bolzano from November to April for recreation. The fascism period brought a dramatic change to Bolzano by adding heavy industry complexes, putting an end to the city’s good climate and air. That is why the dependance, destroyed by bombs during the Second World War, has never been rebuilt.
It was only in 1994 when ten newly built “Superior” rooms were raised on the garden wing, offering a nice view on the surroundings.
Perhaps the most extensive renovation took place in 2008 in the south wing, 33 outdated “Standard” rooms were stripped out and replaced with 25 larger “Comfort” rooms. In 2012, further 15 new “Comfort” rooms have been rebuild.
Although the rooms and reception areas changed through the various times and have today a modern look, many ancient features were preserved remembering the hay day of recreational tourism in Bolzano.
The south façade of the Hotel is surely one of the most beautiful nearly symmetric in every detail.
Many marvel at the staircase with its black-smith reeling and the almost filigree stairs.
The very elegant dining room sports a cycles of frescos by Rudolf Stolz, well-known artist of the 1920, depicting the 12 months in allegoric figures. From 2016 on, every year 2-3 figures will undergo restauration to bring back soon the ancient splendor.
The historic “Salon” dates as well back to the 1920’s and was once upon a time a reading room. Nowadays it serves to host private dining functions or meetings.
The “Stübele” is a more rustic ambiance, with wooden panelling, similar to the many “Stuben” living rooms of the typical Tyrolian manor houses.